Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh Baby!


I think there must be something about seeing a pregnant person that turns off the filter in people's brains--you know, the one that tells them what NOT to say out loud. I recently started showing to the general public, I guess you could say, and a woman I work with confronted me in the restroom and said that until recently she thought that the whole pregnancy was in my head. Nice, huh? How do you respond to that? 

But my favorite comment this month was from one of the vice presidents at work. Monday I was chatting with a friend and he walked by, then paused and turned. He said, "You know, over the last week or so you've actually started to look like you're carrying a baby in there--as opposed to just looking like you're letting yourself go, or that you overindulged at the Shoney's buffet." Again, response?

I know there are several other doozies out there--so I'd love it if you posted some of your personal favorites. I'm trying to keep track of the ones that I get. It does make me laugh! I'll try to attach a really good bit from Brian Regan on the subject soon. 




4 comments:

The Borders said...

Jen! You are such a cute pregnant lady! I love it! Unlike your coworker, I did believe you were pregnant, but just like 2 weeks ago when you told me it was a boy you still weren't showing at all! I was never as cute as your belly is, but I have a picture of myself at 5 months, 6.5 and the night before delivery. I really sprouted my belly between those first two pictures. Very funny stuff you shared though! I was wondering where he was hiding, but that picture is a good one of him! Yea for boys!

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

Funny stuff! I believe you really got it right, people lose the filter when talking to a pregnant woman. I tried to wear my regular clothes for as long as possible and I guess I wore them too long because someone saw me and all they said was, "that's a small sweater". I went shopping for maternity clothes after that.

danberg said...

my favorite was at the local chinese restaurant i ate at a bit when i was pregnant. I finally started to show and the owner noticed and had to feel my stomach, and then proceeded to tell me I was having a boy. I told her, no, I'm 8 months along and its a girl, and she responded with 'no - its weawy (really w/ accent) a boy'. how do you tell an nice old chinese lady that really western medicine has its perks, like ultrasounds instead of just a 30 second stomach rub?

danberg said...

ps - you look so cute pregnant!