Wednesday, July 23, 2008

With the number 1 pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Memphis Grizzlies select... SCO Student Intern JOHN KETCHER



I love optometry school. As third years we are required to participate in two vision health fairs throughout the year. When an email was send out asking for volunteers to help with the Grizzlies Academy basketball camp, I figured that was a no-brainer. Turns out, it was even better than I expected. We were supposed to see kids from 8:45-12:00, but there was a mix-up with some of the people running the camp and the kids that were supposed to come and we ended up only seeing kids from 9:00-10:00. For the next three hours I just hung out at the FedEx Forum (home stadium of the Memphis Grizzlies NBA team) playing basketball (I won a half-court shooting contest with the head coach from Illinois Central College against two of the kids playing in the camp) eating pizza, and hanging out with one of the Grizzlies VPs of Basketball Operations. He gave us a tour of the Forum, like where the refs hangout before and after the games. Then after we had eaten our pizza, he took us on a tour of all the Grizzlies facilities under the stands. We went through the weight room (he offered me a 10 day contract with the team if I could curl a 110# barbell 10 times, but alas, too much for me) the showers with 10 ft high shower heads, we went through the equipment room where they keep all the players jerseys and shoes, the players lounge where they hang out and watch tv, eat, play ping-ping or pool, we we went through the coaches offices, playing on the practice court, and my favorite, the Grizzlies locker room. It was pretty sweet. They had little fridges with Gatorade all over the place. What sweet Gatorade heaven... except that it wasn't Gatorade Tiger as I have become accustomed to drinking in my efforts to be a better golfer simply by drinking Tiger's brand of Gatorade. It was a pretty cool day. The first picture I posted is me in the Grizzlies locker room.The second picture is me in the media room where they do all the press conferences. It is me announcing that we just signed LeBron James to a 10 year $1,000,000,000 contract. Actually, the VP kept assuring me that there was no way LeBron James would ever come to Memphis no matter how much money we had.

2 comments:

DA & J said...

Something is wrong here... Here I am studying hard for the bar exam...while you're playing around at an NBA arena. Perhaps I chose the wrong profession.

Bytheway, I hope you didn't bring up your BYU intramural career stats to the Grizzlies exec.

Luna said...

John, you always seem to luck out with this sorta stuff!