Sunday, June 29, 2008

Missippi


I was over at some friends of ours yesterday. As I was telling them about where I would be going on my externships, their 14 year old son came in and said, "oh, you're going to Nevahda?" I responded by saying, "no, I am going to Nevada." This started a conversation about the correct pronunciation of various locations throughout the US. So, for all of you who have not had the opportunity to spend some good quality time in the south, let me share a few things that I have learned. 
1. The state I live in is pronounced Missippi (slur all the s's together), not Mississippi.
2. It is not New Orleans (emphasis on the "leans"), its Norlynns (emphasis on the Nor).
3. You are the one that is weird for not saying, "sir" or "ma'am," not the other way around.
So if you're fixin to be a little more southern, practice these three things and you might could pass for a southerner in no time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL.. love the post!! Sad but so true!