Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Swimming lessons

We signed Evan up for Mommy & Me swim lessons at the Mustang Rec Center. He had a complete blast, and still talks about "swim lessons." He was very brave--he'd put his face in the water and blow bubbles, float on his back and belly, and kick while holding onto an inflatable without my help, but jumping off the wall into the pool was his delight. He showed absolutely no fear (much to my dismay--a little healthy fear is a good thing with water!) and never wanted to hold my hands--just to do "really, really big jumps" off the side. We ended every lesson with the frog slide, which was a big hit with Evan as well. It was a lot of fun, and a nice way to combat the ridiculous heat we've been "enjoying."






And after putting it off for way too long due to a total lack of desire to get it done (by the mama), I started potty training Evan last week. He's doing great. No accidents for the past couple of days. I wasn't brave enough to let him try during church since John and I are both pretty busy, but when I got him home, his diaper was dry and clean! Hooray! He's only been wet one night (most nights he wakes up and yells for me when he needs to go) and has stayed dry during naps as well. Our big issue is getting him to poop in the potty. He has done it before, but refuses to do it lately, and holds it till night when he gets a diaper back on. So that's been an issue. Any suggestions from you seasoned parents out there? I'm excited about his progress. He's really doing great. Love the kiddo! And I can't wait to meet his little brother!

3 comments:

Brent & Paij Collins said...

Good for Evan with the swimming. Morgan has been several times in our pool and still won't even consider jumping in. Yeah for potty training. I hope it continues to go well and you can figure out the poop thing. I've got no suggestions.

Reiko said...

I don't know if this is good or bad. Ari was learning to count at the same time as potty training so she enjoyed counting how many poops. Kinda embarrassing when in public restrooms, but hey she is potty trained. Ari also likes to make Mommy and Daddy happy not sad so she always says "Mommy happy" after going potty. Good luck. He is such a cutie.

Luna said...

Yay for swimming lessons. What fun!

And good job on the potty training. As for the poop thing. Do you know why he doesn't want to use the toilet? The answer to that question will probably help you the most. I know there are books out there that address some of those things. It is a common problem; kids will frequently do one but not the other, and usually it is the bowel movement they hold on too. Which can be bad because it can lead to constipation and bowel obstructions (if held for days and days.) One book I have heard of is "Everybody Poops" Maybe that would help? Good luck!