Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Great Goodwill

If you know me at all, you know I love to read. I also love to buy books. However, being that I'm now a stay-at-home mom and John's a student, I've tried (albeit not completely successfully) to harness that love of buying books. John's thing was that every time I came home with a new book he'd grumble about how that was one more book he'd have to move--and yes, with us moving three times over the next year, his grumbling was not completely unwarranted. But recently he gave me the gift of promising never to complain about having to move my books again, and even gave me $20 to buy books! What a guy! So I've been scheming about how I could get as many books as possible for my $20. You know, checking the internet for deals on amazon.com and half.com, etc. I knew what books I wanted--I keep a list of books I want to read.

Today Evan and I went to the Goodwill to see if they had any decent baby clothes--he's growing so fast we're running out of things for him! After a disappointing search, I thought I'd run back to the book section to see if I might find any books I was interested in. I've looked there before but have never gotten any--their selection was always pretty disappointing. But not today. Oh no. I left the Goodwill with FIVE books in mint condition--most still with the bookstore sticker on the back!

So here are my new titles to read:
The Red Tent
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Robinson Crusoe
The Rule of Four
The Catcher in the Rye

And I still have money leftover for more books! I called John and said I had a surprise for him. He handled it really well. Thanks, John!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a serious book addiction too!

Luna said...

I think there is a small "book only" goodwill on Goodman. I think the Library also has a secondhand book store. Just to help feed your addiction.

Susan said...

What a sweet hubby! I love the little Goodwill bookstore that Luna's referring to. We were just there yesterday!

Alayna said...

Yeah books! I hate to admit it but I rarely get to read an entire book but The Red Tent is one of my favs! I'm sure you'll enjoy them all!

Margaret Pratt said...

Happy you found some treasures! It is always fun to get a good deal! Evan is getting bigger and cuter by the second. I look forward to seeing him on Sundays!

Heather Fischer-Johnson said...

Oooo...Catcher in the Rye...I am afraid you may not be able to read that one. I thought it was a good one I remembered from high school, bought it, started reading. Tried several times before I threw it in the trash. Yep, threw a 'classic' book in the trash. There was SO MUCH vulgar language I just could not take it...so hmmm, good luck. At least all the others are great!

Scotty B said...

Catcher in the Rye...that was a weird book, bless your soul...Amen to Buhn's comment