Monday, August 25, 2008

Its about time! We got it!


After months of waiting and praying, we finally found out Friday that we received the Indian Health Services Health Professions Scholarship. I turned in my application 6 months ago and have been waiting patiently ever since. They were switching from paper applications to online applications this year, so they were a little behind the deadlines that they had proposed, considering its the end of August and the website initially said they would let recipients know by the middle of June. None-the-less, I can't begin to explain how excited Jen and I are. For those of you who aren't familiar with the scholarship, it includes full tuition, books, equipment, and a monthly living stipend. In exchange for taking the scholarship, I agree to work for IHS for two years. I looked up job openings for IHS on Saturday just to get an idea of the kinds of places that we may end up... OH MY! We're more than likely to end up somewhere extremely remote. For example, for those of you who are curious, they had an opening in Kotzebue, AK. Look it up on wikipedia, it gives a nice picture. Again, Jen and I are extremely excited and grateful for this HUGE blessing and for another strong confirmation that Heavenly Father is watching out for and taking care of us. Thanks to all of you who have offered prayers on our behalf. We appreciate it.

5 comments:

danberg said...

Congrats! That is quite the scholarship, you should be proud! There are tons of reservations here in Arizona, some of them right in the middle of the big cities -- always making for interesting demograpics as one side of the freeway has huge strip malls and the other res. side has farmland!

Liz and Reina said...

Congratulations! I know that is a huge relief. You totally deserve it!

Andy, Lori and the Gang said...

Congratulations! Maybe there is a reservation somewhere around Olive Branch! By the way, I left a recipe for John on our blog.

Liz and Reina said...

this has nothing to do with your post, just wanted to reply to Jen. this baby better come this weekend! LOL. we really hope she is ready tomorrow when we go to the dr. Sam and Jackie are almost as anxious as mom, who is almost as anxious as me to meet Reina. anyways, hope you are doing well.

Lant Family said...

Jon--I found your blog and I would personally like to tell you our new blog address. It isn't up to date yet because I just got back but be ready because I am going to get back to blogging.
enjoy,
http://midsouthfun.blogspot.com/